Sunday, April 11, 2010

Dear Coffe Customers... DON'T DO THIS!

Today is Sunday and well, I love Sundays! I always work with a great team and it is always full of new challenges. Big drink orders and people late for church! So speed and quality are the important thing to focus on.
Today I was in window for just a short period of time but remember my Soy friend? The one who is pretty cocky and has no style; anyways he rolls up to the window.. (and I forgot to mention he pulls up to the speaker and just yells "Hey this is ...!")... So he pulls up to the window and is on the phone. I say hi to him and see if he needs his receipt the usual questions when somebody pays with a debit card. He looks at me and without skipping a beat in his cold heart he says "Umm stop I'm on the phone." HOLD ON THERE... first off buddy I am not your child, you might as well have held your finger up like my mom used to do when I interrupted her on the phone when I was FIVE. This happens all the time with various people, my brother says that I should keep asking questions till they are forced to get off the phone, then stop talking to them. haha note to self, stop being nice to these people who don't have time for me. So this very nice man who is lucky I have the patience of a saint has inspired my post today DON'T DO THIS!!!
Pretty cut and dry, here are some pet peeves of mine (and many other fellow barista's) when you come through a drive thru at any coffee shop.

1. First off we answer the speaker when people pull up like this "Hi there welcome to ___, how are you today?" You then answer either good thank you or I'm good how about yourself? Something polite like your mama taught you. Don't just start ordering right away and DON'T say hold on (as you finish your conversation with somebody on the phone)

2. That brings me to the next one... GET OFF YOUR PHONE it is rude. At the speaker and at the window. Nobody deserves to be treated like that, get off the phone for a whole 2 minutes and be just as friendly as your barista, it means a lot to us.

3. When you pull up to the speaker don't order from the passenger side unless you can yell loud enough for us to hear you. If you order from the passenger side and we mess it up, we get a free pass because you should either drive or be with somebody competent enough to repeat your drink to us.

4. DON'T DRIVE A DIESEL TRUCK.. it's KILLS my ears.

5. Please speak clearly at the speaker and don't go fast because you are so cool you can say your drink fast... we have to enter in EVERYTHING and the screen consists of like 7 different menus.

6. Remember to say if you want your latte hot or iced at the speaker, we can't just dump your drink over ice to fix it, that would taste DISGUSTING.

7. Don't order drinks at the window, you hold up the people behind you and it is rude!


OK there are a few more little things that just drive me crazy but that's just because I am picky, you can start with these 7 helpful hints though :D A happy barista makes an even better experience. If you are nice to us we will be nice to you, and put more love into your latte!

No comments:

Post a Comment